All services at our parish will be ive-streamed on our parish YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/
Thursday, October 22, 2020
Saint John the Baptist Church, Canonsburg, PA
1:00-5:45 pm: Visitation
6:00 pm: Office of the Burial for a Hierarch (Sign-Up Here)
Friday, October 23, 2020
Monastery of the Holy Transfiguration, Ellwood City, PA
10:00 am: Hierarchical Divine Liturgy followed immediately by Interment
Please note that due to COVID restrictions, only invited clergy may serve at the services. For all of these services, clergy and faithful should also be sure to maintain all safety protocols and precautionary measures.
Other than serving clergy and singers, all in attendance must wear a mask. Additionally, due to social distancing requirements, the number of faithful in attendance is limited. Please register for services using the links above. Please consider attending either one or the other of the services, to allow others to attend.
If you are interested in singing for either service, please contact Fr. Thomas Soroka - firstname.lastname@example.org - who is coordinating the choir. Those singing should not register as attendees, as those in the loft do not contribute to our capacity in the nave.
- Due to concerns with singing being a major vector for the spread of the Coronavirus (see this article, or this story of what happened when a choir sang together), we will be limiting our services to a single singer. Many thanks are due to Diane and Lara who are stepping up in this time!
- There are no spots within 15 feet of the singer or from where the deacon/reader read in the center of the church.
- Masks are to be worn at all times, except for at Holy Communion; only Fr. John, the deacons, and the single singer will be without masks.
- Those in the pews - even those with masks - should refrain from singing. Please help up to mitigate this potential risk by letting the singer sing alone.
- As can be seen in the picture below, some pews have a single "spot", while others have two spots. Individuals and couples should take the spots in the pews with two spots, leaving the pews with a single spot for families with children.
- There are two unmarked overflow spots, on either side of the choir loft. If you are capable of standing through a service and we need the extra space, please consider moving upstairs to allow space for someone who needs to sit. If absolutely necessary, a family can stand in the narthex as well.
- A different spoon will be used for each communicant, purified after Liturgy with Everclear alcohol and boiling water.
- The antidoron will be handed out with tongs. If you desire zapivka (the wine after Holy Communion), the same server will pour some in a paper cup for you, which will then be burned after the Liturgy.
- We will have two altar servers, selected from among the families who are attending. Fr. John will be calling these families beforehand. Preference will be given to those 16 and up. Altar servers will be wearing masks.
- The hours will not be read, and the Epistle will be read by the second deacon. If necessary, a reader will be selected from among those present, and they should only take their mask off to read.
- As tempting as it may be, please refrain from gathering together in an informal "coffee hour" in the narthex after Liturgy. The virtual coffee hours over Zoom will continue on Sundays at noon for those who wish to connect with their parish family.
Fr. John Joseph Kotalik
St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church
601 Boone Avenue, Canonsburg, Penna. 15317
Rectory: 724-745-8216 | Cell: 425-503-2891